• Register
Forum Thread
Need help with Red Alert 2 mod (Forums : Support : Need help with Red Alert 2 mod) Locked
Thread Options
Feb 25 2018 Anchor

Does anyone know how to use the VXL Editor for Red Alert??

It's like I get it, sort of understand, then get lost... Like I know what Legos are but I'd struggle building a proper house out of em!!

Also, I've created a new intro film replacing the Westwood intro but kept it in, obviously, but when I play it in the game there is no Audio so someone who knows Bink well would be of great help.

Feb 28 2018 Anchor

VXL editor is just like any modelling software, basically, you have to practice to understand and be better at it, no surprise there. This tutorial should give you an idea how to use it: Youtube.com

Edited by: feillyne

Jul 22 2018 Anchor

THANK YOU FEILYNE :) i looked all over youtube and couldnt find help... now i know i didnt look hard enough. Thank you! And since you are the only lerson who is helping lol im having a certian problem bink... can u help??

Jul 31 2018 Anchor

Nah, been modding RA2 only visual- and codingwise (VXL and SHP files, and so on), but I have no game dev or mod dev experience editing or messing with audio. Still, you could check how the original intro works, preferably you can

1. Extract all files
  2. Use Notepad++ to search ALL files (Find in Files) to check if there are any references to the original intro in an INI or video/audio config file
  3. Edit the config file that references the original intro and add your own parameters/options/references to your own video to fix the audio track

It's possible audio settings of that original intro are coded in somewhere so it may be possible to edit/change those settings to fit your own video. This is not a solution though, just a guess. It may be an issue related to the video itself instead, too, not any audio settings, or even your own OS or PC audio settings or nearly impossible to change game's hardcoded (not softcoded) settings.

Edited by: feillyne

Aug 17 2018 Anchor

You beautiful Person... Did it. Its not just a guess anymore, its the answer! :) :)
And the VXL creation is well on its way. Sorry about late reply, you really did help.

And while i have your attentuon ;) and you mention SHP...
I think its SHP file ustates640.shp etc (the loading screen for individual teams)
Ive copied to clipboard in a format that can edited, then edited the Image in the file then
pasted it back into folder in correct format and into RA2 but still appers defalt image.
This prosses works for every other SHP ive changed. Can i not change these loading screen
files because of hard code?? Im so close to finishing. And would you like crediting in the MOD
for techinical support?? Im serious :)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.