• Register
Forum Thread
The 7 Hours War (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : The 7 Hours War ) Locked
Thread Options
Jun 25 2015 Anchor

Well, firstly this is a very young idea ( Well, I'm thinking about that since 3/4 weeks, but I need other's opinion.) and on top of that ... I'm french .

I'm thinking about making an HalfLife 2 mod (Well using source at least, as BlackMesa) for making this "game". It will divided in 7 parts, wich one during 1 hour (Logic, nah ?)

The game will have to give feelings and emotion. The 7hours war will take place in different ... places, as a chapter in BlackMesa and mostly in New York city (Or everywhere you think is a good fight.)

The playable character will be a citizen as another fighting for his liberty. (Or a military . Or both ? We need advice and idea !). We all know that earth get "rekt" during this day, but the game will focus on all hope of human against alien, united in a last sigh ...

We are hiring for :

-Source (Hammer) Level designer

-Source animator

-Source prop maker

What do you tkink people ? Concept art and some Alpha level images will come soon :)

Jun 27 2015 Anchor

I always wanted to play a good mod/game that is set during the Portal Storms or the Seven Hours War. You have a good concept there and a hard road ahead. And the 7 hours/7 part idea is brilliant.

A reminder: Humanity was fighting for years against the aliens from Xen during the Portal Storms that ravaged the Earth. Most of the planet's population gathered in big populated centers that later became the basis on which the Combine established their cities (City1,2 etc). So, if you are going to set the mod in a big city (like New York) it must look really post-apocalyptic, with walls and barriers around each corner.

As for the protagonist, he could be a soldier. I am not a fan of the hero being a military guy, but I think it suits fine in this situation. During these 7 Hours you could witness, from the inside, how the (remaining) military forces are helpless against this new threat, fall in disarray and being defeated in only 7 hours. You will get cut off your unit and fight alone, coming across citizens who will beg for your help, only to see that you (and the military in general) are powerless to help anyone.

And that's exactly what I excpect from such a mod: To feel desperate. To feel that, even though your are fighting your way out of the city, there will be nowhere safe to go.

I wish you the very best luck with your project and I hope I'll see it uploaded on ModDB soon :)

Cheers!

Jun 28 2015 Anchor

Well, Hello and I'm happy to see that ModDb's forum aren't deserted ! Ahaahah

I keep your comment in my "7Hour war" folder and we will be happy to take help from it !

You can read our Primary Facepunch thread ( finished not really like we wanted ..) : Facepunch.com

Since we got : 1 script writter, 2 level designer. We are making our "game' intro" at the moment and still looking for talented people like you.

We would be happy if you want to come and help us, you look like to got awesome ideas and know a lot of things in HalfLife' universe !

What do you think ? :)

Let change the world together !

EDIT :

Images.akamai.steamusercontent.com

Edited by: -Tear-

Jun 28 2015 Anchor

Thankfully there are a few guys left around, lurking in the forums and helping whoever they can :)

Your level designers look talented, if the two pics are some of their work. But, you need to make your team bigger, if you want to pull off such a huge project. And every Source project is huge, no matter how small it is, in contrary with the GldSource engine, in which only one developer is more than enough for creating a mod/game.

I've seen some comments (in the link you've provided) which state that you can't make a game in the Half Life universe. I think if you buy the Source engine, you can create whatever game you want, but I am not really sure how copyright violations work. There are a couple of games that are produced and are placed during/before the events of Half Life 2: Indiedb.com and Indiedb.com. You could ask them for more information on that matter.

As for switching to Source 2, I think there is no need for that. Maybe it will not become as classic as the GldSource, but it has its charm. Also, we lack of a mod/game set in the Portal Storms/7 Hours War timeline, made in Source. The only one I can think of is this one Moddb.com .

And thanks for the offer :) But, I have my hands full with my own mod and I can't really help anyone else (besides some constructive criticism, ideas or some writing). It would help you recruit some people if you posted a threat here or/and in the jobs section about your mod.

See ya around ;)

Edited by: Thanoshld

Jun 28 2015 Anchor

Your level designers look talented, if the two pics are some of their work. But, you need to make your team bigger, if you want to pull off such a huge project. And every Source project is huge, no matter how small it is, in contrary with the GldSource engine, in which only one developer is more than enough for creating a mod/game.

Well, yes this is from our team, they are not bad ! Ahahah :)

Exactly, we are hanging around forums/threads to recruit people but that's something really hard. When you come and say : "Hi, want to join us ? We have a really idea and we are 4 in the team" they all run away ! Ahahaha !

I've seen some comments (in the link you've provided) which state that you can't make a game in the Half Life universe. I think if you buy the Source engine, you can create whatever game you want, but I am not really sure how copyright violations work. There are a couple of games that are produced and are placed during/before the events of Half Life 2: Moddb.com and Moddb.com You could ask them for more information on that matter.

Well, if I remember well you can buy source on steam for 80$, but I'll ask people I know and the ones you share me ! Thanks !

As for switching to Source 2, I think there is no need for that. Maybe it will not become as classic as the GldSource, but it has its charm. Also, we lack of a mod/game set in the Portal Storms/7 Hours War timeline, made in Source. The only one I can think of is this one Moddb.com .

Yeah, some people said that too but I agree with you, there is no need for that and source 2 can come out in 1 week or 5 years !

And thanks for the offer :) But, I have my hands full with my own mod and I can't really help anyone else (besides some constructive criticism, ideas or some writing). It would help you recruit some people if you posted a threat here or/and in the jobs section about your mod.

Ahaha, I understand your choice ! We are trying to make some stuff to show to people to make them joining us !

I'll update this thread as soon as I can since ModDb looks less pissimistic that FacePunch ... Ahahaha

See you soon ^^

EDIT :

Well, BTW , can I get your steam name ? :)

GAME TIMELINE

(BIG SPOIL)

Image.noelshack.com

Jul 1 2015 Anchor

Just bumping this thread; Tear recruited me out of the facepunch forums (which I rarely visit any more - he is correct about the lack of enthusiasm! I rarely visit) and I am taking over on concept art and contributing other skills as I can & have time - at 23, I am busy, and both motorcycling and wrenching on motorcycles takes up much of my free time. It's great to finally see a project that I genuinely believe is going to reach completion - the team's enthusiasm and work ethic is infectious and turned my cynicism into optimism very quickly.

My Background

I began making modifications in my very early teens, first with the Graal Online engine (I did GUI design, iconography, and tilesets for a popular server, as well as that being my first experience with level design) and then utilizing the Quake III engine via Call of Duty to create levels for me and my friends which I didn't realize at the time pushed the limits of the engine ("destroyable" terrain and buildings, "running" water etc).

Both of these experiences were huge confidence boosters, not only as an distraction from the childhood bullying that comes with awkward shyness, but it was immensely rewarding to *create* and figure out loopholes and how to get the most out of each engine. That was interrupted by an unhealthy amount of time invested into Star Wars Galaxies, but I finally got into the Source Engine when Half-Life 2 was released - the tech was new and shiny, I didn't know how it worked, and I was determined to learn. I worked on several different mods, none of which came to completion - but honed my skills in Hammer, as well as learning more advanced texturing techniques such as bumpmapping and UV wrapping/reflective surfaces as well as animated textures. I had a minor amount of experience doing modelling, texturing, and mapping in Mount & Blade... I also tried unsuccessfully to begin animating, after I grew frustrated I couldn't find anyone to create animations for me... an experience that taught me a LOT about the difficulties of open-source software.

Around 18, I stopped working on anything related to games and took up some.. irresponsible habits. I've been clean for 3 years, and I now work with young children as well as doing commercial driving (We call it "party limousine" driving). In my spare time, I do restorations and custom motorcycle builds - and I'm excited to diversify and begin doing some concept art!

Going Forward

I'm excited to work in tandem with the storyboard & script artist, to create some compelling artwork that will both display the vision we are developing of a planet's culture, infrastructure, and people falling apart in the face of a threatening Combine invasion, as well as showing you, the player, insights into gameplay and level design elements you can expect to encounter in the small snippet of the world we are developing. It's my hope that I can remain a steady contributor to the team's efforts, and translate some of Tear's english for y'all ;) Everyone is very excited, and we hope the progress we can show you in the following months will get you excited as well!

Jul 1 2015 Anchor

Nice to see genuine determination and enthusiasm behind these project! With people like you, this mod may be one of few, that will actually see the light of day.

I wish you the very best of luck and I can't wait to see some screenies of your early work, once it's done :D

Regards,
Thanoshld

Jul 1 2015 Anchor

Ahaha, Seschwa, you have absolutly no idea how I am happy that I found you on this Un-friendly FacePunch forum !

Hell yeah, what's wrong with my english ?! Got some problems with it ? Say it in front of me ! :D Ahahaha !

@Thanoshld : Well, we are working hard to provide you some cool stuff in the first month !

I get back to work now ! See you sooner that what you think !

EDIT :

Hello, some news content to share you ! The 7 hour war's menu preview ! Here we are :

Image.noelshack.com

Any advices to make it better ? :)

Jul 3 2015 Anchor

Very good! I believe you should make the area a bit brighter, though. Also, it would be really get you in the mood (of true terror and helplessness) if you heard some fighting in the background and bombs blowing up above this tunnel/underground bunker/shelter and dust falling down from the ceiling every time this happen (and while the bombs fall, this character you've placed there would look nervously around). All this in a continuous loop for the mod's background menu.

Jul 4 2015 Anchor

We was thinking about some lightning in back ground, but hell yeah your idea is fucking good ! Going back to work for it ! Thank you a lot !

We are still hiring btw .. Ahahah ! :)

Youtube.com

:p
Jul 12 2015 Anchor

Great work mate! Nice to see my suggestions implemented. When the image shakes, you could make the light flicker and make some light debris fall in the background. I know the GldSource can produce some debris without something actually being destroyed, but I am not sure if you can do that in Source.

Keep going! Can't wait to see more :)

Jul 12 2015 Anchor

Yes , we are planning for that ! I send you a MP with more private stuff ! :)

Sep 9 2015 Anchor

Great to see how far this went Tear. Can't wait to see this released. Because it won't. Welp.

Nov 6 2015 Anchor

Ahaha, free liberty of thinking , i'll let you think what you want :D

Nov 9 2015 Anchor

There is definitely a lack of content for the 7 Hour War. It's hard to make a game where player doesn't win at the end and, in fact, his whole world is lost to the aliens. Good luck though, I'm definitely interested.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.