• Register
Forum Thread
Percentage Health (100%) vs. Numbered Health (100/100) (Forums : Development Banter : Percentage Health (100%) vs. Numbered Health (100/100)) Locked
Thread Options
Oct 18 2014 Anchor

Hey there,

Just wondered what everyone's preference would be for a health bar. I am making a RPG game for android and apple phones and Im trying to get as much feedback as possible.... even on the tiny things like this! See images below!

We need all the feedback we can get. RPGs are one of the hardest games to get right, but we want to revive the good old gameboy days!
Epocu.com
Rollplaygamesltd.com
www.twitter.com/rpglimited

Oct 18 2014 Anchor

If you can develop the character's stats, better go for the number/number.

Oct 20 2014 Anchor

I usually prefer if the health bar shows the number of HP.

--

Robbin' Goblin
Robbin' Goblin
Oct 25 2014 Anchor

Yeah -- I am considering removing the number/ % displayed on the HP bar. I wouldn't want to copy Zelda but I do like their heart hp system -- I could change the hearts into azurite crystals (main element of our game)... that could also work. Just trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Thanks!

Drew

Nov 5 2014 Anchor

Personally, I just ignore all the numbers and go by the bar/color indications of my health. It's much easier to pay attention to the gist of something than say "Oh, I have 28/50 health, I should start thinking about using a health potion." Rather, I see my bar is almost halfway empty. Visual UI all the way!

jjc_uk
jjc_uk Running late, but moving quickly
Nov 18 2014 Anchor

RetroYeti has it. The visual indicator shows the percentage more effectively anyway, so replicating it numerically just seems redundant.

You also have a bit of a problem that by showing percentages as numbers, the user isn't really aware when their health goes up. Showing the health bar get longer, or the max HP get higher, gives the player some visual reinforcement of their extra powers as they level. Thus they'll feel more powerful and enjoy the game more.

So go with visual bars and no percentage, possibly re-inforced with a current/max HP if you want numbers to be front-and-center. Since your interface looks highly visual anyway, I'd leave numbers out entirely. They look a touch out of place. You can always have an option to display hitpoints & mana points.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.