• Register
Forum Thread
How can i make a Quake 2 mod? (Forums : Coding & Scripting : How can i make a Quake 2 mod? ) Locked
Thread Options
Jul 20 2015 Anchor

like the title says, im interesed to make a quake 2 (idtech2) mod and i don't have an idea how to start or even what i need... (i dont have idea if this thread should be here anyway), can anybody give me a tip where do i start from?

-thanks

Jul 20 2015 Anchor

The game is written in C, so if you want to modify the SDK you'd need a C compiler/IDE. I currently use Windows Community Edition but I haven't compiled Quake 2 code on that to see if it runs ok.

You want a map editor to create new maps. There's several (Radiant being the most popular). Most include the tools to compile the map too.

Textures are TGA/WAL format. Wally converts your images to WAL format.

Sky's are TGA's.

Model's can be exported in Blender and you can use Q2Modeler to convert them to use in game. I use Blender 2.49b, the md2 exporter & I use Q2Modeler to attach my model's skin.

Skins are just PCX files. I use Gimp to edit those.

That might be it. A couple good places for Q2 modding help: Quake 2 Cafe & Tastyspleen.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.