• Register
Forum Thread
Capcom will remake resident evil 2 if demand is there (Forums : Console Gaming : Capcom will remake resident evil 2 if demand is there) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3
Oct 2 2012 Anchor

A lot of you may be aware that there is a high demand for a resident evil 2 remake lately. Currently 'Capcom' has mentioned that if the demand is there then they will officially remake resident evil 2. Original sources can be found all over the internet but here's a random one here.

The idea was that someday they might actually get Capcoms attention, so far we have enough people here to get some attention with nearly 13,000 signatures within a matter of 4-5 days. Also if you're interested in the community we also have a facebook group here too which has over 2000 likes since the original announcement.

So any support would be helpful, love to hear what people think of this.

Also the original voice actors are wanting to go ahead with it too

UPDATE: It's now happening:

Off topic slightly but even created an art cover for the possible future game:
Deviantart.com

Edited by: Ronnie42

Oct 19 2012 Anchor

The last two RE games have been horrible, and Capcom itself has gone straight down since the RE2 days. Why do people want them to pump out a remake that'll be full of chest-high walls and DLC?

Oct 20 2012 Anchor

DrPaddles wrote: The last two RE games have been horrible, and Capcom itself has gone straight down since the RE2 days. Why do people want them to pump out a remake that'll be full of chest-high walls and DLC?

Well because the original remake for re1 was supposed to be popular because it improved, kept the original gamestyle without random dlc. Got to agree re5/6 were terrible. Hell even re4 was pretty bad, they should have kept with the original resident evil 4:
(I personally want the remake or at least a port to 360 because I love playing the originals, don't want to have to get ps1 out when want to talk to friends online, I even bought code veronica hd as soon as it came out because a big fan of the originals)

Oct 20 2012 Anchor

DrPaddles wrote: The last two RE games have been horrible, and Capcom itself has gone straight down since the RE2 days. Why do people want them to pump out a remake that'll be full of chest-high walls and DLC?

Based on my experience with RE6.. I actually liked it. It's not really a horror game, but I still enjoyed what I got to play. I won't deny Capcom is serving a different audience though.

Oct 22 2012 Anchor

Reqieumthefallen wrote: It's not really a horror game

That's sort of why I have stopped buying their latest re games since they don't even try anymore. I even started playing doom 3 bfg edition, remembered how that game had cheap scares just like the original resident evil games but the new one's don't even try that anymore, the 6th is the worst in the series.

Oct 24 2012 Anchor

ronnie42 wrote:

Reqieumthefallen wrote: It's not really a horror game

That's sort of why I have stopped buying their latest re games since they don't even try anymore. I even started playing doom 3 bfg edition, remembered how that game had cheap scares just like the original resident evil games but the new one's don't even try that anymore, the 6th is the worst in the series.

Just because it fails as a horror game doesn't mean it fails as a game. You have to take each game for what it's good at, and enjoy that. Otherwise you're not letting yourself experience something different.

Also, almost everything in RE6, I can find in some form in RE4. So really, the whole "RE6 gave up all pretense" is scapegoating. The game everyone loves did the same thing, it just wasn't as fast-paced or slick about it, and it didn't include co-op. In fact I'd say RE6 did try to be a sequel that shook things up as much as RE4 did, they just didn't go the way -you- particularly may have wanted it to go. I still enjoy both.

Oct 24 2012 Anchor

Who remembers the Nintendo 64 port of Resident Evil 2?

Squeezing 1.2 gigabytes of game down onto a 64 Megabyte cart. Sure the audio was muffled. BUT IT WAS AWESOME.

Oct 24 2012 Anchor

Ambient_Malice wrote: Who remembers the Nintendo 64 port of Resident Evil 2?

Squeezing 1.2 gigabytes of game down onto a 64 Megabyte cart. Sure the audio was muffled. BUT IT WAS AWESOME.

Did you know they had a working prototype for it on the GBA? No music, possibly no sound, and only limited 3D models for on-screen characters but still... they actually had it working. Now that's impressive.

Oct 24 2012 Anchor

Ambient_Malice wrote: Who remembers the Nintendo 64 port of Resident Evil 2?

Muffled? Don't think it seems that bad, kind of looks just as good as the ps1:

Reqieumthefallen wrote:

Just because it fails as a horror game
doesn't mean it fails as a game. You have to take each game for what
it's good at, and enjoy that. Otherwise you're not letting yourself
experience something different.

It's just gets me so frustrated the way the series has gone downhill. I'm usually ok with change, if you look at my xbox/steam account I play a ton of variety of different games but I can't accept the way the series is continuing. There's no re-playability in those games except for gamer-score, that's it. 10 years from now there won't be anything memorable about 4/5/6

Reqieumthefallen wrote:

Also, almost everything in RE6, I
can find in some form in RE4. So really, the whole "RE6 gave up all
pretense" is scapegoating. The game everyone loves did the same thing,
it just wasn't as fast-paced or slick about it, and it didn't include
co-op. In fact I'd say RE6 did try to be a sequel that shook things up
as much as RE4 did, they just didn't go the way -you- particularly may
have wanted it to go. I still enjoy both.

There really wasn't anything like re4, even the original beta changed way too much, the problem is that they seemed to have run out of idea's which is why they tried "scapegoat" with the whole over heard camera to make their work more action focused, less on survival horror and puzzle solving. They try to add some puzzles but 90% tends to involve running and shooting. They even turned fear into boss fights to make anything that might seem shocking into easy kills that the player knows can be killed easily.

Here's an example of a pathetic boss: (All you had to do was circle it)

While in resident evil 3: (You were constantly made with choices which could slow him down for a bit but you could only defeat him by Nuke because at the end he thought to the end.)

Oct 17 2013 Anchor

I'd honestly love to see a remake of RE2! :)

Oct 26 2013 Anchor

Well technically the remake would probably be a Re2/3 fused game since it's set around same time, plus makes sense since there is a lot of demand for it.

Oct 28 2013 Anchor

Normally, I'd be like "RE 2 remake? That sounds like something I'd play" and "how could they screw THAT up? A lot of work is already done," but these days...

First of all, seems like a bad omen for a company to say they'd remake a game, but only if they get some outside reassurance it won't blow up in their faces (which it almost inevitably will). It's an admission they lack confidence in the idea.

If they thought it was a good idea, they would've started already. I don't think they should remake it if they themselves don't believe in it. Going against that instinct will result in a mediocre, timid effort.

Nov 4 2013 Anchor

GreatExarch wrote: Normally, I'd be like "RE 2 remake? That sounds like something I'd play" and "how could they screw THAT up? A lot of work is already done," but these days...

First of all, seems like a bad omen for a company to say they'd remake a game, but only if they get some outside reassurance it won't blow up in their faces (which it almost inevitably will). It's an admission they lack confidence in the idea.

If they thought it was a good idea, they would've started already. I don't think they should remake it if they themselves don't believe in it. Going against that instinct will result in a mediocre, timid effort.

I don't know that is really true. Porting a game is going to still take some resources. RE2 is an old game with an old style of game play. It might find a nice reception in the older crowd but may fall flat with the younger crowd. Then you have the whole distribution thing with discs or downloadables. Players today generally expect something different then what we did a decade ago. Resources are also tight (not to repeat myself). Some of the code MIGHT be able to be reused. I'm assuming a lot will have to be rewritten in different languages to support the targeting platform. Much less all the models and sounds will likely have to be remastered at a minimum, or redone completely at worst. That's a lot of production cost right there. The technicalities of it (to remaster it to a point people will want to pay for) are going to be a bit difficult. I can understand them wanting to have a committed user base ready to buy the game first.

Not that I wouldn't mind them remaking the game. It's one of my all time favorite games. But I won't hold my breath over it yet.

Nov 6 2013 Anchor

Well it would be 'nice' to see the remake but Capcom don't seem to listen to the fans these days or we'd get more CGI resident evil movies like Damnation/Degeneration that are more faithful to the series than those bombshell live action films that have nothing to do with Resident Evil to support the horrible Milla's terrible acting.

But anyway Capcom clearly are trying with Re6 since I noticed it was sort of aiming more to Horror in Leon's campaign but it was nowhere near as good as Re2/3 were.

Nov 7 2013 Anchor

I would be pretty happy for the time being if they put RE1-4 on Steam! :) Then we'll worry about the remakes :D

Nov 7 2013 Anchor

Well not too fussed about a steam 'release' since I can already play all the Resident Evil games on the pc if I wanted to but I'm sure of a console gamer these days.

Nov 15 2013 Anchor

Man, as a huge fan of Resident Evil 1 REMAKE on GC, I really wish they would remake 2, one of my favorite games. RE1 on GC is still gorgeous and pretty scary. Although I found Resident Evil 4 brilliant, I do have to agree it lost all of its horror elements IMO. On its own its still a good game.

I did not enjoy Res 6, but I can't pin point exactly why. I think its because the camera was wonky, too many quick times for my taste, and the jarring effect of switching between characters and stories. My 2 cents anyways lol Case in point, bring back Res 2 :U

Nov 25 2013 Anchor

Personally I found Resident Evil 4 to be over-rated, is partly to blame for 5/6 being the way they are. There fun games but people do hate on them because some claim they wanted it to be like Re4 but re5/6 were more like Re4. I'm not a fan of quick-time events either.

Oct 21 2014 Anchor

Well, I'm not an expert or anything but it would seem that if there were to be a remake of Resident Evil 2 I don't think it could live up to the original. But then again the remake of the first Resident Evil 1 for Gamecube looked really good. And I heard it was one of the greatest remakes for a game.

Oct 23 2014 Anchor

That's the problem with most things, since gamers tend to have too high expectations of games usually. Sure the remake for Re1 looked good but will be hoping to find out soon in a way with the remaster coming out next year, been hearing it could lead to Capcom giving same treatment for Re2/3 so will have to wait and see. I hear it didn't do as well on the GC as an exclusive but I believe it'll do a lot better on more consoles, PC. I believe if it did then Resident Evil would kept to survival horror instead of going down the Re4 route that led the series to some kind of action shooter.

Anyway Re1 remastered remake next year:

Technobuffalo.com

Apr 16 2015 Anchor

I loved the remake of Resident Evil 1 on the Gamecube. If they could do RE2 like that and not really like the new RE games I would like that alot.

Groovy Invaders

--

Download Fart Man on Google Play! See how far you can fart, and upload your high score to the online leaderboard!

Play.google.com

Fart Man

Apr 16 2015 Anchor

NathanGroovy wrote: I loved the remake of Resident Evil 1 on the Gamecube. If they could do RE2 like that and not really like the new RE games I would like that alot.

Groovy Invaders

Well have to agree. Loved playing the Re 1 remake so far on the X1, looking forward to seeing a remake for Re2.

Apr 23 2015 Anchor

I would be more that ultimately happy to see Resident Evil 2 remade. The 3 first Resident Evils (especially 1 & 2) were just awesome, and I can't stop wondering why Capcom has distanced itself so much from their original concept in the last games. Sure, they made prequels, spin-offs etc., but the canonical series in not what it used to be... I think remaking good, old games is a good gaming companies' strategy. All companies should remake their original installments, so new generations would get to know these great games, which otherwise would be either forgotten or no more supported by new operating systems.

So yes, a RE 2 remake would be awesome.

Apr 23 2015 Anchor

Sure more company's should recapture their older games since the uniqueness of older franchises get's lost in modern titles to where there not recognisable any more.

Apr 23 2015 Anchor

If they were smart they'd create a online version that doesn't fail unlike Outbreak for the PS2. It would be great to have the original survival horror theme back as well. How awesome would that be, Chris,Jill,Barry,Leon,Claire,Rebecca hell even Wesker before they turned him into some freakshow super-villain.

I would play that if the manage to do it properly. But sadly we must also realize that the original developers/writers who worked on the original RE series aren't with them anymore.

Bring back the dogs,spiders,crows and normal zombies. When's the last time they even used a Licker in game? I mean wtf.

Instead we get leeches and satanic villagers.... I think Resident Evil:Revelations was the best recent RE game they made. I bought it for my 3DS and it was amazing. Though I really didn't enjoy their level up and grind, Raid Multiplayer....... Though at least they got back to the Survival Horror genre at least, even if the monsters were all just Marilyn Manson suit wearing Lickers that threw some random anchor at your face from across the room.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.